November 6-8, 2018
For Information about available sponsorships, contact:
The Napoleon House is a historic building at 500 Chartres Street in the French Quarter. Built in 1794 its name derives from the local legend that it was intended as a residence for Napoleon Bonaparte after his escape from the island Elba off the coast of Tuscany. A daring plan to free Napoleon and to bring him to New Orleans was halted by news of his death in 1821.
Napoleon’s original death mask was created on 7 May 1821. It is commonly believed that Dr. Antommarchi, present at Napoleon’s death, cast the original mould. In 1834, Dr. Antommarchi visited New Orleans, and presented the city with a bronze copy of the mask.
The death mask is on display in the Cabildo, next to Saint Louis Cathedral opposite place d’arms (Jackson Square).